Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Sol Republic Amps Headphones

Today I will be looking at the Sol Republic in-ear headphones, the Amps. Having been extremely satisfied with the on-ear Sol Republic model, the Tracks, I couldn't wait to test these new ones out. Since Sol Republic tries to replicate the Beats by Dre models (since the owner of Sol Republic is the son of the owner of Monster Audio), it comes as no surprise that these headphones are large, stylish and flashy.

The outer portion of the earbuds is extremely glossy and features the SOL logo. This same glossy finish is used on the inline remote. While at first, I really loved the glossy finish. After a few minutes of testing, you could definitely see fingerprint smudges, which I could see become annoying. The earbuds have a curved design with a flat back which help them fit deep into your ears. The Amps were designed to conform to your ear so the earbuds are made for either your left or right ear and are not interchangeable.

The Amps come with four silicone ear tips which gives each person the ability to achieve that perfect fit. Even though the buds are larger than most, they are much lighter than they look. I found the weight to be perfect: not too light so they don't fall out, and not too heavy that they weigh your ears down. Even though most earbuds fit differently for each person, most people who tried them out found them comfortable and had no discomfort whatsoever. The inline mic is by far the best one I have seen. The mic looks flat to the eye, but the buttons are easily clicked. When you want to pause a song, you can actually feel the button click, which can't be said for many headphones.  Like with all headphones, there were a few minor complaints with the Sol Republic Amps. There is no included carrying case and the cord is prone to tangling.

Before I talk about the sound quality of these headphones, I have to tell you that these headphones are loud, really really loud. When I had my iPod on medium volume, I had to lower the volume.  Don't even think about using Sol Republic Amps and listening to songs with high volume as you will probably go deaf for at least a good 5 minutes. So I would definitely say that the sound quality is excellent. High and low volume sounded crisp with every type of music I tested.

Overall, the Sol Republic Amps In-Ear Headphones are one of the best earbuds I have come across due to their affordable price, great sound quality, and stylish design. They are available in 2 Colors: Black & Red.

Price: $60
Available Now

Pros
  • Sound Quality
  • Extremely Loud
  • In-Line Mic
Cons
  • Prone to Fingerprints
  • No Carrying Case Included

Overall Rating: 8.5/10






No comments:

Post a Comment